OK, I think I have all of my holiday beverages sorted out now. For the past few years I have made different EggNogs but the problem has always been getting the perfect avocado. Considering how far avocados have to travel to get all the way to me, it’s no surprise. If you have a party to host and all the avocados at the store are as hard as rocks then it’s no nog for you. So this year I swapped out the avocado with cashews, blended like crazy, and presto: holiday nog! For better or worse it is very much like the 99 cent cartons of eggnog we used to quaff down when I was a kid (i.e. sweet milk with nutmeg). Works for me.
- 1 cup whole, raw cashews soaked in cold water overnight
- 3 cups plain almond milk, divided
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon – rum to taste
- Place the soaked cashews and 2 cups of the almond milk in a blender. Blend until very smooth. If you are like me and have a pretty crappy blender, you can pass the mixture through some fine cheesecloth at this point to remove any graininess. Or leave it as is if you don’t mind a little texture.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Chill and reblend right before serving.
Nathan Kozuskanich lives in North Bay, Ontario. A mild-mannered history professor by day, by night he fights animal cruelty as the blogger Vegan Dad. vegandad.blogspot.rs
This article appears in ISSUE 33 of Healthy Juicing Magazine
Subscribe and don’t miss any information like this in future
You can download our latest issue at:
If you like what you see, we would really appreciate your honest rating on iTunes; tap this link to do it: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hea…
CHECK OUT OUR SOCIAL MEDIA PRESENCE: